Overcome Chronic Bad Breath (Halitosis) with our Fresh Breath Therapy
Occasionally, we all have bad breath. For instance, your breath may not be the freshest in the morning or after a cup of coffee. However, if you experience chronic bad breath, you may have a deeper medical issue, which dentists call halitosis. If you’ve bad breath, it not only affects the people around you but also diminishes your self-confidence. This is no way to live!
Have you tried to shake off bad breath in Smyrna, Georgia, without success? You’re in the right place. Dr. Aja Nichols in Lifestyle Dentistry offers fresh breath therapy to help your mouth keep smelling its best.
Causes of halitosis
Generally, bad breath occurs due to poor oral hygiene. When harmful bacteria and food debris accumulate between your teeth, around your gums, and on your tongue, this gives you bad breath.
The other factors that contribute to halitosis include:
- Smoking — Tobacco contains pungent chemicals that linger long in your mouth for hours.
- Dry mouth — Did you know your mouth produces about a liter of saliva daily? Saliva washes away food particles to keep odor-causing bacteria away. If you have a dry mouth, you don’t get enough protection to fight bad breath.
- Periodontal disease — Chronic bad breath is one of the tell-tale signs of gum infection. Bacteria buildup along the gum line not only messes with your breath but also inflames your gums.
The other causes of bad breath include certain medications, upper respiratory infections, and calcified tonsils. Identifying the cause of your bad breath is crucial in devising a long-lasting solution.
Bad breath treatment in Smyrna, Georgia
Wouldn’t it be great if there was a magical pill to end halitosis? Perhaps someday someone will, but until then, we continue using preventative care and multi-faceted treatments like:
- Dental cleanings: Poor oral hygiene leads to plaque accumulation in your teeth and beneath your gum line. If plaque isn’t removed, it calcifies into tartar which can only be removed by a dentist. Dr. Nichols offers routine dental cleanings to eliminate dental calculus to prevent cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Tongue scraping: Odor-causing bacteria don’t only hide in your teeth and gums — your tongue can be a perfect habitat for bad bacteria. Along with teeth cleaning, we can scrape your tongue as far as the back area that’s prone to bacteria collection.
- Gum disease therapy: If you’ve gum disease, we offer custom-made PerioProtect trays to deliver medication deep into your infected gums. We can also recommend medicated mouthwash to fight gum disease and bad halitosis.
- Lifestyle changes: Depending on the cause of your halitosis, we may recommend dietary changes, optimal oral hygiene, quitting tobacco use, etc., to remedy bad breath.
Down with bad breath in Smyrna, GA? Lifestyle Dentistry can help you beat halitosis. To get started, please dial 678) 884-4494 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Aja Nichols. We want to restore your confidence and ability to enjoy time around others without covering your mouth when talking or smiling.